Volume 4, No. 8
February 2, 2009
Subscribe or unsubscribe
Published the first Monday of each month as a free service to subscribers by:
1212 Alberca Rd
Sonoma, CA 95476
Seven Tips for Starting Your Speech Off Right
When you give a speech, the audience will form an impression of you before you utter a word. Keep these tips in mind about what to do before your opening line.
- Be mindful of your body language.
- Walk to the podium at a comfortable pace, don't rush or dawdle.
- Be friendly, smile as you approach the podium.
- Don't look at the ground.
- Relax, don't be stiff.
- Don't shuffle or thumb through your note cards and papers before you start to speak.
- Don't make drinking a sip of water your first action at the podium.
Next month, I'll have tips on how to engage the audience when you begin your speech.